Recently I decided to let the last few spiders I saw live. I’m afraid of spiders. They creep me out and occasionally haunt my dreams. When I see one, I squish it, or better yet, if someone else is with me I “make” them do it. And well any way, I found myself asking myself, “Do I really want to live my life afraid of spiders?” It starts to get kind of silly when I think about it. Granted we are not talking about the poisonous kind. And so I’ve let the last couple go on staring at me until they decide to retreat back to wherever it is spiders go and I’ve found I’m a little more courageous because of it.
I’ve been learning how it’s the small stuff that builds courage for the big stuff. And that the thought process, the letting go, the trusting, isn't really any different whether something is small or great. Letting a spider live, shouldering a weighty call from God... it all runs along the same vein -- the vein of courage.
Something I especially appreciate about God is that He doesn’t just send us out on the battlefield of life unseasoned without a clue. No, He sends lions and bears our way… before He sends a Goliath (1 Samuel 17:37). Each incident grows our courage and our trust in God, preparing us for the next challenge. We can trust God with the things He allows into our lives. We can trust He will give us the grace we need to meet each challenge, and we can trust He knows where He is taking us and what we need and who we need to become to get there.

No comments:
Post a Comment