Friday, March 22, 2013

The Evolution of My Favorite Color

When I was five years old and someone would ask me what my favorite color was, I would say, “PINK, and purple.”

When I was newly a teenager I may have answered that same question with, “hunter green”, and a couple years later I know I would have said “blue”. Emphatically blue. 

Or, “BLUE, and pink.”

Funny thing, the evolution of the favorite color is. Or at least of mine. 

Sometime recently I realized my favorite color was no longer A color or A color plus another. But that it was… “all color.”

How did I get to this place? 

If you asked me today: “Emily, what is your favorite color?” I would reply, “It depends. I really like all colors.”

And then I might add, “though I do have color preferences when it comes to what colors I will wear or what colors I will dress my surroundings in.” But then, even here, I am much more fluid. Much more fluid than I used to be.

It is as if there used to be good colors, and bad colors. Colors that I liked, and colors I could not stand. It was even as if the choice of a favorite color was somehow linked with my very identity, as a part of what defined who I am.

I don’t know. I just find this interesting. How my feelings toward color have evolved over time and how I have gone from such definitive statements in relation to having a favorite color, to a very broad inclusive embrace of all color.

Though you probably won’t find me wearing a bright, lime green t-shirt. If I were to wear one for a day, I know I wouldn’t be put off by it like I once would have been. And I somehow count this as significant.

Well, any way, what is your relationship to color? And, do you have a favorite?

2 comments:

Stef said...

My "favorite" color has also changed over the years, but I do still have favorites. (Current favorite is purple, but I also like black because it is so classic and goes with everything. If you have ever seen my blog, you will notice that it is purple and black. :)) At the same time I have learned to appreciate all colors and to enjoy combinations of colors I would not have liked previously.

Emily Bray said...

:D